When you wake up in the morning in beautiful Budapest, you’ll probably be wondering where you can find a delicious breakfast or brunch that will energise you for a full day of sightseeing.
Breakfast, or ‘reggeli’ – literally meaning ‘to morning’, is a popular meal in Hungary and there are a whole range of restaurants in Budapest offering excellent breakfasts.
Sunday is a popular day for brunch in Budapest too and a great opportunity to try lots of different types of Hungarian food at the same time if you choose the right place. In Hungary this is known as ‘villásreggeli’ - literally ‘to morning with a fork’.
Traditional Hungarian Breakfasts
One of the most traditional Hungarian foods to eat for breakfast is actually lángos which could be described as a Hungarian pizza and was enjoyed by workers in the past on the mornings when bread was being baked but Hungarian breakfasts and brunches could also typically include any combination of:
- Fresh bread like kifli rolls, a typical crescent shaped Hungarian roll
- Toast with jam and butter
- Bundás kenyér, similar to French toast, often served with garlic sour cream and cheese
- Pastries or strudel, bundáskenyér
- Cheeses like cottage cheese, trappista cheese, liptó
- Cold cuts and hams like disznósajt, kenőmájas and beef tongue
- Hungarian sausages (kolbász) like debreceni, liver sausage (véres hurka)
- Fried, scrambled, boiled or stuffed eggs (töltött tojás)
- Salads (including Hungarian peppers, tomatoes, pickled onions, pickled gherkins)
- Fresh fruit
- Fruit soup with cottage cheese
- Rice pudding (tejberizs) with honey
- Smoked salmon, salmon roe
- Pancakes with fruit or chocolate
- Savoury pancakes with eggs and ham, bacon, mushrooms or cheese
- Fried goose liver
- Foie Gras, pates like májkrém
…with all that delicious food washed down with…
- Hot chocolate
- Fruit juice
- Hungarian sparkling wine (Törley is popular and well respected)
Recommended Places for a Good Breakfast in Budapest
If all those different types of Hungarian breakfast food seem like a good way to start your day then these are just a few of the best breakfast places in Budapest for a good breakfast.
Situated on historic Aulich utca, close to Szabadság tér, Szabadság Kávéház is a one of our favourite traditional Hungarian coffee house and restaurants for breakfast. Historic in its own right the kávéház is the perfect location to start a day’s sightseeing in Budapest. It is great value, open from 7am and is close to the Hungarian Parliament, the Hungarian National Bank and St Stephen’s Basilica.
- Address: 1054 Budapest, Aulich u. 8
- Website: www.szabadsagkavehaz.hu
This welcoming breakfast place offers up classic continental breakfasts in lovely surroundings, with freshly squeezed juice, mint tea, fresh coffee and “gypsy toast with sour cream.” The service is friendly, attentive and fast. You will feel right at home enjoying a leisurely breakfast here.
- Address: 1065 Budapest, Nagymező utca 14.
- Website: www.ketszerecsen.hu
- Telephone: www.facebook.com/ketszerecsen
Located in a beautiful picturesque square in the middle of Budapest, this is a lovely place to enjoy your breakfast. On a sunny day, you can eat the home-baked bread, pastries and scrambled eggs on the outdoor terrace. Breakfast is served here until noon, so don’t worry if you sleep in later.
- Address: 1052 Budapest, Gerlóczy utca 1.
- Website: www.gerloczy.hu
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/gerloczycafe
If you are looking for a healthy breakfast, Fruccola is where you will find delicious food that will nourish and revive you. This excellent sandwich and juice bar serves up muesli, toast, baguettes, milk shakes, fruit juices and much more. Start your day off right!
- Address: 1051 Budapest, Arany János utca 32. or 1052, Budapest, Kristóf tér 3.
- Website: www.fruccola.hu
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/fruccola
If you just need to grab a tasty breakfast pastry on the run, this bakery is a self-service breakfast bar where you can choose from a superb selection of baked goods. It opens at 7 am and offers fresh coffee along with its array of sweet and savoury treats.
- Address: 1075 Budapest, Károly körút 5.
- Website: www.bakerman.hu
The Best Places for Sunday Brunch in Budapest
If you are in Budapest for the weekend and feel like relaxing on the Sunday of your visit and enjoying brunch then we really recommend considering these restaurants who all offer a brunch that is heavenly:
Gresham Restaurant’s Sunday Brunch (Four Seasons Hotel Brunch)
Gresham Restaurant hosts a farmer’s market style Sunday brunch with local Hungarian produce including Hungarian hams, cheeses and sausages always popular with guests. Service is second to none and you are bound to discover some new tastes.
KNRDY is close to St Stephen’s Basilica and is a popular location for brunch on Sunday for those that want something a little sophisticated. With the resident DJ spinning the tracks and the Champagne flowing it’s a good choice if you want to ease your way in to Sunday.
Corso Restaurant Brunch (Intercontinental Hotel Brunch)
With a great selection of food, live entertainment and and an area for children the Corso Restaurant at the Intercontinental Hotel is “popular with hotels guests, families, couples and even corporate get-togethers. Over the Christmas period special festive Christmas brunches are held on selected dates.
We have shown just a few of the best places to grab a tasty morning meal above. For more information about Budapest, Hungarian food, recommended restaurants and things to do in Budapest see our regularly updated Budapest Guide.