The world-famous New York Café is situated in district VII of Budapest, in the ground floor of New York Palace and is widely considered to be one of the most beautiful coffee houses in the world.
The building of the New York Palace and the New York Café were planned by Hauszmann Alajos, Korb Flóris and Giergl Kálmán. The beautiful old patina Café is in several floors and the inner space of the building is divided by twisted columns. There is a fountain near the entrance, and Venetian chandeliers hang in the hall. The stairway to the gallery is decorated with bronze statues, and there are amazing frescos on the ceiling. New York Café is rightly got the name the “most beautiful cafe house in the world”.
The Café has lived through many different eras, political systems and historical turning points. It was popular meeting place in the circles of artists and memebers of nobility.
The New York Café from the first decade of the 20th century became renowned as a real literary café one of the centre of the intellectual life of Budapest. Writers and journalists had their home there and the editorial office of the highest standard literary journal of the age ”West” (Nyugat) found its home here, too. Recently it has been reconstructed and owned by Boscolo Group.
- Address: 1073 Budapest, Erzsébet körút 9-11.
- Website: www.newyorkcafe.hu
The Café awaits its guests between 9 am – 11 pm.
As far as the menu of New York Café is concerned, it offers the specialities of essential Hungarian gastronomy, as well as the international gastronomical trends.
New York Cafe Menu Highlights
Below you will find just some of the highlights from the menu at the New York Café
- Rabbit terrine with mustard potato salad
- Buffalo mozzarella with dried tomatoes and ruccola pesto
Snack and Pasta
- New York Burger with potato crisps and mixed salad
- Home made spaghetti served with beef ragout with red wine & rosemary
- Beef Goulash soup with beans and home made noodles
- Chicken ragout soup with chicken wings and tarragon
- Roasted pork trottle with grilled onion liver ragout and home pickled cabbage salad
- Grilled foie gras served with shallot in red wine sauce and creamy mush potato
- New York chocolate cake
- Creamy Mascarpone served with lime flavoured strawberry
- Cappuccino with French vanilla
- Irish coffee (Jameson, raw sugar, espresso coffee & whipped cream)
- Ice coffee with chocolate biscuit flavour and vanilla ice cream & whipped cream
- Frappé with yoghurt and lemon- mint flavour
- Large selection of Hungarian wines
Map Showing the New York Cafe in Budapest
The following map shows the location of the New York Cafe in Budapest:
Photos of the New York Cafe in Budapest
We will soon be adding some new photos of the New York Cafe in Budapest below.